Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Royal Madness

With my hands on the huge, carved, oak doors, I felt nervous. My gown was delivered to my room not long after Morgen had left, saying that he has to get ready too. The gown was low-cut on the back, showing my whole back, which made me thankful for Morgen. If he wouldn't have healed my wounds, not everyone would see those marks.
Instead they could see white scars. The healing flames only speed up the healing process, but they don't change the appearance of the outcome.
On my shoulders, pieces of darker blue piece of textile was sewed onto the light blue fabric of the gown. They looked like night-blue feathers. The dress was long sleeved, and the gown was down to the ground. I had to wear high heels, if I didn't want to faceplant at every second step. Since the castle was still cold as hell, I put a white cape around my shoulders. I will take it off later. My hair was pulled back in a ponytail. I have never been a master of doing my hair, nor my makeup.

I pushed the heavy doors open, and to my horror, about fifty pairs of eyes turned towards me. A guardsman beside me announced my name, which scared me even more. A maid came up to me, and took my cape. Cold air brushed my back, and I got goosebumps all over my body.
I looked around in the hall, hoping to see a familiar face. Soon, my eyes met Onyx's who wore a black gown that left her left shoulder bare, and a garland was on her head with powder pink roses and amber leafs. She looked innocent, and terrifying at the same time.
I walked up to her, since I figured it will be the best if I find someone I know and act totally natural, like I always take part in such occasions.

"Hey Onyx!" - I greeted her with a huge smile. I was a little bit relieved that I knew one person in the whole meeting at least.

"Hey. Are you okay?" - She asked, pushing her hair out of her sight. She looked nervous.

"My feet already hurts from this shoe... but other than that, I am fine..." - I faked a smile. She looked at me with that I-know-something-is-wrong look, but I just shook my head. - "What about you? You just took off from the library, and I haven't seen you ever since."

Faylinn
"I am sorry..." - She looked over her shoulder toward a man with longish black hair with a crown on his head. - "My father had arrived in Skydown not long after I got back to the palace, and he summoned me." - As we talked, a tall figure twirled towards us. She was as graceful as a ballerina, and basically every female would hate her for her beauty. She was inhumanly beautiful, but I could see something in her eyes that frightened me, even with her friendly smile across her face.

"Oh look, my dear sister!" - She hugged Onyx theatrically, and then turned towards me. - "And of course, the dear Spirit Princeps, heir of the family!"

"Actually, Cassiel is next in line..." - I mumbled, and my fingers reached for my necklace. It was made of sapphire and silver, and was heavy on my neck. I felt naked without the feather necklace, since I never took it of as long as I could remember. It was my lucky charm... but I guess it was more cursed than lucky.
Onyx's sister smiled widely - I didn't even know she had a sister, they didn't even look alike. - But she was standing there in her weird gown that looked like it was made of some kind of armor - I decided not to question it. There were just so fucking many things I wished I could understand... but I didn't.

"Faylinn, she isn't the heir." - Onyx said.

"She is the Soul Whisperer. That makes her the heir." - She pointed out. Another thing I didn't know. Onyx looked at her with horror. - "Anyways, father must be lonely without mother - oh, pardon me, my mother. See you later!" - But before she left, she glanced me. Then hurried away.

"Please, don't mind her. She wants power, so she thinks she could befriend all the heirs of influential clans." - She rolled her eyes, and fixed a wrinkle on her black gown.

"I didn't know you had a sister..." - I said.

"I don't." - She replied. - "I only have half sisters. One from dad, and one from Lilith. They are not my actual sisters. At least, I never considered them to be my sisters." - She looked up at me, and I could see sadness in her eyes.
I put my hand on her shoulder, and pulled her into a hug.

"A half sister is better than none." - I whispered. Anouck appeared in brown breeches and sand colored poet shirt. His boots were mahogany brown, and he had the shell necklace on his neck, that I always saw him wear. But somehow, he was different.

When he got to us, he hugged us both, and it made me happy to see that he got along with Onyx. But there was a strange stiffness between them, like something was still not okay.

"Glad to see you, S." - He smiled.

"S?" - I asked back. No one have ever called me that. I have never actually had a nickname, so to be called by other than Eva, or Spirit, it felt wrong. Actually, even when I was called Eva felt wrong. Maybe because the last person who spoke my name was a liar... a handsome liar, that is, but still a liar.

"I thought Spirit was a little long, so I thought I come up with a nickname for you." - He smiled at me like Cassiel usually does. That made me feel like he wanted this nickname, because he cared about me. It felt good, but S was not a nickname really.

"Thanks, but keep trying." - I laughed. When I opened my eyes, they met a pair of aquamarine eyes, and the smile froze off my face. Then I blinked, and he was gone, like he wasn't even there at at all. Nobody noticed him. Nobody, but me.
He stared into my eyes, he wanted me to notice him... but how could he come inside the room without anyone noticing? And why could I see him when nobody else could? What was going on?

A heavy hand patted my shoulder. I jumped in surprise as I twirled around my axis. Ambriel stood behind me, his face cold as Ice. If I wouldn't know that he was my father, I would never guess.
He had a crown thingy on his head, but instead of the big crowns that looked like they were from a coloring book of a child, this was delicate, wrapping around his forehead, like arms of amber, but without the leaves. His white blonde hair was flowing down on his back, like a waterfall, and his deep blue eyes were piercing.
"You are the daughter of the Host. Your place isn't among these people." - He said, and pulled my away from my friends. He was forceful, and angry. His grip hurt me.
Ambriel guided me up a staircase, which had a couple of chairs, and only Ariel sat there. I sat down beside him, just like he told me. Ariel whispered to me that I should sit with my back straight, with my chin high. Instead I lowered my chins a little. I didn't felt it right to look at these people, like a superior being.
Soon, Ariel arrived, his cheeks flushed, and sat down at my other side.  Beside Ariel, there was one chair, and beside Cassiel there was one chair too. Soon, I got to know why. A blonde boy came up the stairs, his presence was radiating power and superiority. I guess that's how we should have been sitting as well. He sat down beside Cassiel, and looked at me. His white blue eyes reminded me of a man that I almost killed.

"My name is Jophiel Cleric. Son of Michael." - He reached for my hand, and I expected a handshake, but instead he kissed my hand. - "I am pleased to meet the Nephilim Princess."

"I am sorry for your loss." - That was all I could say. His messy blonde hair reflected the candle light, and the last rays of the setting sun. He was beautiful... and dangerous.
Jophiel didn't respond, just nodded.
The other chair was soon filled with a familiar face: Haniel. He turned his face towards me, and nodded, as a sign of greeting. I nodded back. As the only female on the podium, I felt very uncomfortable. Cassiel leaned towards me, and whispered in my ear.

"The people sitting up here are the next heirs of the most influential families." - He whispered. - "I know it looks weird, because the three of us are siblings, but since we are the children of the Host, all of us gets to sit here." - Now that he mentioned it, it did  seem a little weird.

"Is O'Shea an influential clan? I never knew..." - I whispered back.

"Because it's not. But Xerxes has no children, and he adopted Haniel into the Sanguinis Clan to be the heir." - He answered.

Xerxes
"Sanguinis? Isn't that blood in Latin?" - I asked back. Somehow that was the first name that popped into my mind. Cassiel nodded, but we didn't have time for more chatting, because Ambriel took his place on the podium above us, beside him a black haired man, who I remember to be Xerxes from the postaquam, where he agreed with Michael that I was a bastard. That isn't something a person forgets easily. On the other side of Ambriel, a woman sit. She had short blonde hair, and she was about a year or two older than me.

I looked back at the crowd, and everyone was sitting down at tables that I didn't even notice at first, leaving the huge space, where the guests were talking just seconds ago free.
Right in front of me the man stood that I assumed to be Onyx's father. Beside him sat Faylinn and Onyx.
Next to them were rows of people I didn't know, and then my eyes met Morgen's. He glanced away immediately.
Then as I searched the crowd for familiar faces, my eyes met Stephen's, who was sitting by his father and next to them were sitting another group that I didn't know. And then I found Anouck, who was sitting next to a man with long, blonde beard, his hair was long too, his skin suntan, and even though deep wrinkles were by his eyes, his body was in a good condition. He held a trident. When I looked closer, they were kind of alike... could that be that Anouck was more important, than I first thought he was?

Ambriel stood up behind me. - "Dear allies. I am thankful for all of you for attending this meeting. We are here to discuss the matter of the last Head of the Consilium, who sacrificed my daughter for investigating a forbidden way to become a full fledged demon." - A low murmur spread through the audience. My father cleared his throat, which caused immediate silence in the room. - "Also, if any of you have anything to discuss with the whole consilium, please come forward, after we have decided in the main matter."

He had told the facts that we already knew, and some that I had no idea about. For example that there are trackers searching for Iris, trying to catch her dead, or alive. That shocked me... he was talking so matter-of-fact, id didn't sound like he was talking about his own daughter at all. I had a strong urge to state my thoughts about the whole thing, but I knew that these people looked at the most respected man in the world of the magical creatures. He was one of the people in this world that these people looked up the most. I couldn't embarrass him just like that.
So I remained quiet,pretended that I was a statue for the whole time. Up until a voice called my name.

"Spirit Princeps, my lady..." - A man with a black crown that looked like it was carved out of onyx sent me a charming smile that felt more mocking than kind. His ash colored skin and red eyes terrified me, but I remained like a statue. - "You are the only person here, who really knew Iris. Please, tell us why should we catch her alive instead of killing her on the spot." - That was a cruel question, but I suppose I had no choice but answer it politely, without telling this asshole to go and fuck himself.

"Iris is my sister, and she was the one, who made sure I was safe up until the moment she was kidnapped by full fledged demons, which were working for Michael Cleric." - Heavy silence sat on the room. This fact haven't been mentioned. I didn't care about most of the people, but his son was sitting by me, staring at me... If I were him, and let's say, I didn't know about this, I would be very upset. I fought off the urge to look at Jophiel, and focused on the man, who asked me the question in the first place. - "This question feels wrong, said like that. What had happened to Iris wasn't her fault, and she doesn't deserve to die just because someone was trying a new method of becoming a full fledged demon." - I said. Another man cleared his throat, he had real feathers on his bare shoulders. I didn't even notice that there was a shirtless man among the crowd. His skin was porcelain white, and his hair was just like my father's, except that it wasn't long.
I shot him a questioning look.

"Excuse my interruption, my lady... I understand that you are a powerful Grigori, the Nephilim Princess, and a Soul Whisperer, which is very rare... and that the fact that the gods above choose you to be the Soul Whisperer made you the successor of your clan, but I feel like you are soft." - He stood up, and walked to the open space in the middle. He had loose pants on, made of fabric white as snow, and a golden belt around his slim waist. When he was sideways to me, his wings were visible.

"I beg your pardon?" - I asked back. I was startled by his appearance, but at the same time confused about what he was trying to say.

"And who are you?" - Ambriel asked the man from above me. The guy bowed, with his wings spread out widely.

"My name is Damian. I am just a guardian angel, who happened to be near by when the meeting was called together." - He said. I raised my eyebrows. When he straightened up, his blue eyes flicked with a golden light. For some reason, my first reaction was to angrily let out the air I was holding back.

"Dear Damian, you, as a low rank angel shouldn't even be present on this meeting, nevertheless speak to the heir of the Sub-Consilium the way you do." - Ambriel noted. - "She is my daughter, who had proven her strength mentally, and physically. Pay the respect you are supposed to pay, and sit back down. This was my last warning; if you interrupt the meeting again, you shall spend a night in the dungeons." - I could see the arrogance fade away from Damian's eyes, turn into hatred, but not towards Ambriel, but me.

"Please, continue." - He bowed again, and went back to the place, where he was sitting. I stood up, and walked to the middle, hoping to grab the attention of those, who were staring at Damian's angry face.

"I feel like the Consilium had forgotten that we are here to serve justice, not here to be the dictators. We might be powerful, but we are not gods; let them decide over life or death. I suggest we capture Iris alive, unharmed, and see if we can turn the bad around, and find a way to turn her back into her true form." - I said. I turned around, and looked at father for support. On his right, the woman I did not know leaned forward, and put her chin gracefully on her fist.

"That sounds like a great idea, but you forget, that even if we manage to overpower a monster like her, and bring her here, there is no known way to turn her back into a Nephilim." - She said.

"There is no way to bring back the Dead, but she awoke Joel Severio, whose execution had happened when she took part in the postaquam. Now, even though Joel is still weak, he's alive." - Rufus said. That detonated the bomb, and everyone started talking at once. I could hear some people saying that it was wrong, black magic, and I should be killed for exercised such things, while some were amazed and wanted to know how I did it.

"Silence!" - Ambriel was standing up, his voice filled the air, as if he was speaking into some hidden mic.

"As the king of Atlantis, I suggest we listen to the Soul Whisperer." - The man beside Anouck said.

"I agree." - Rufus said. Soon, some of the people, who were mostly elders, wearing crowns, or things like that nodded. Of course the pale dude, who asked me about my opinion looked displeased. I shot him my most brilliant smile, and then walked back to my seat, and sat down. I felt proud that I could achieve at least one thing in my life.

"Now that we have decided in that matter, move on. Any other suggestions?" - Ambriel said. I decided that if people want to look at me like I am a leader - which I was not - then I must act like one, even though I had no actual idea how to do that. I tried to copy father as much as I could. People looked up to him, hoping for an answer, and he always had one.
To prove that, the following topics were solve in a short time period, thanks to his quick thinking. I didn't even had time to process what I was hearing, and he have already came up with a solution. An hour and a half later, Ambriel stood up.

"I think that will be enough for today. Please, if you have any commentary, say it now." - He said. The man that called himself the king of Atlantis stood up.

"I want to formally thank Spirit Princeps for bringing my son back to me. The Aecor Clan is beside you, no matter what you do." - He and a group of people - Anouck as well - bowed their heads. I bowed my head towards them as well.

"I am thankful for your support." - I sent the old man a shy smile. I heard some people disagreeing with the old man's choice. I could see why... I was just a girl, who grew up among humans, never had to do anything with magical stuff, up until I was brought to LA.
I didn't belong here in this gown, sitting on the podium as the next heir. These people needed a leader, not a scared little girl.
The meeting was closed, and the people filled the space in the middle again. I walked to the king of Atlantis. - "Thank you." - I said. He smiled at me.

"Child, call me Trident. I wish you the best. I know that being the next in line is stressful... I have been there, and by now, I would give anything to change my old actions. Choose wisely, and trust me, if you listen to your heart instead of your brain, you will get out of the situation as a true winner." - He gripped my hands in his, and kissed my forehead. I took a small mental note that this man was my absolute favorite of all the lords in here.
I thanked him the good advice, but when I try to go, he called after me. - "One more thing: you should start to think about who you want to choose."

"Choose?" - I asked. - "For what?"

"As the next heir, you have to marry sooner or later." - He said. The sudden information felt like I just swallowed a bug. Marrying anyone was my smallest, and least important problem at the moment, but just the fact that the problem was there made me nervous.
The last thing I wanted to have volunteers for the position at my heels. That would be awful...
Then I realized. I had the volunteers all along: Rider came back, Joel wanted to help me, Stephen agreed to help me, Haniel himself agreed to help me along with Joel, and then there was Morgen, who would never admit that he was thinking about this, but I was sure that most of them had thought about what would happen if I became the next heir. They all grew up in this, so they must have known how this all works...

"Thank you, Triton." - I smiled at the old man. He patted my shoulder. I felt like I needed some fresh air, so I left the hall hurriedly, and went into the garden. When the castle was way behind me, I dropped on a bench, and covered my face with my hands.
What was the true purpose of all this? Why did I have to be the one to born into this family, and inherit this power of Soul Whispering? I just wanted to be normal... even working in a diner was better than this. We had lived a peaceful life with Iris, and I knew that sooner or later our paths would have divided, but at least, I would be still feeling sane, I would still know what to do.
Now here I sat with no guidelines, not knowing who was here to help, and who was here to get something from me.

This was getting more and more complicated...

No comments:

Post a Comment