Saturday, March 29, 2014

Escape

The sirens screamed loudly, and I was trying to put my gear on as quick as I could, but my hands were shaking, and fear was racing through my body, which made it extremely difficult to hurry. Rider was standing watch at the door, and I could feel his body tense up as we began to hear monstrous roars and death-screams.

I finally zipped up the gear, and fastened the gloves on my hands. I hurried to Rider, but I didn't dare to go first; I have never seen an actual, full-fledged demon. On practice, Morgen sometimes let me fight demons who were "my size" because either they were wounded, weak, or too young... but this was different. It was no practice.

"Get you weapons!" - Rider instructed, and he held up his blade, ready to bloc any attack coming from the door. I hurried to the drawers, and began to put the blades into their place on my belt. I had a scabbard on my back, where the long-sword belonged, and I pulled out a bow and a quiver of arrows. I pulled out an arrow, and held by bow ready to fire as soon as some creature tries to break down the door. These arrows were made to kill demons: their tip was dipped in the strongest poison, and on their side, the most deathly spell was carved into the wood. One shot, and the creature drops dead.

But the door never opened. Soon, the roars began to fade, and the screams quieted down as well. I lowered my bow, and put the arrow back in the quiver. Then, following Rider, I fastened the bow over my shoulder across my chest, and pulled out a dagger.
He opened the door, and then walked out. Rider looked around and lowered his weapon.

"They are gone..." - He said with disbelief in his voice. I took a deep breath, and then let my powers flow out, and search the mansion... I have no idea why didn't it came to me sooner.

"Yeah, they left through the front door just now." - I mumbled.

"The front door? Whoa, what a sophisticated demon herd." - He smirked. I could only roll my eyes. I put the dagger away as well, and joined to Rider. We both walked down to the social room, where we found some injured people, and a yelling Darren. He was raging, yelling, and he seemed like he was about to break down.
I remained quiet, since I haven't spent any time with him... we only exchanged a couple words when we met in the hall, but that wasn't enough to break the stranger zone. Of course I knew that he was dating my sister, and that they were paroling together most of the time, but that was about all I knew.

"I am telling you, we have to go after  them!" - He yelled at Flame (another person I haven't spent much time with ever since I came here. The fact that she was a Hell-Light kind of scared the crap out of me.

"Calm down, Iris is a big girl, she will be fine." - She tried to calm her. Hearing my sister's name made me vary.

"What happened to Iris?" - I asked back. All eyes turned towards me. Flame's eyes were full of sympathy.

"Oh honey." - She hurried towards me with her arms wide open, probably she wanted to hug me, but I dodged her arms, and took some steps back.

"No, just tell me what happened." - I insisted. Darren's eyes flashed on me.

"They took her." - He hissed. He was angry.

"Then why aren't we on our way already?" - I asked, and I felt terror take me over.

"Because they aren't just full-fledged demons. We have no chance against them. They are very high rank, and we just don't have the potential against such creatures." - Flame opened her arms wide.

"That's bullshit." - Darren pushed her shoulders. - "They might be high rank, but you are the daughter of Lucifer, I am a son of an angel and a demon, she is the daughter of a royal family, and Rider is an ex guardian. And then there is Morgen, who is the most talented Grigori we have seen so far! We would all risk our lives to save her, and you only don't agree with me because Remiel told you to stay here, and keep us all here!"

We all stared at Darren in shock... except Flame. She just stared at the ground, like a lost child. I felt my heart beat faster.

"Is that true?" - I asked. Rider put an arm on my shoulder, but I shook him off. - "Why are you holding us back? We can go and save her, I can still feel their presence nearby!" - I yelled, but she just shook her head.

"We have to stay. This isn't out business."

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN IT'S NOT OUR BUSINESS???? SHE IS MY SISTER!" - I shouted, but it was like she didn't even hear me. I threw my hands in the air, and hurried to the front gates. I could feel Darren, Rider, Morgen, and one more person behind me, but I didn't care who it was. All that mattered now is to find my sister, and bring her back as soon as possible. We got to the front door, but Flame somehow got there quicker, and with spreading her arms wide she tried to stop us.

"You can't leave." - She said, but I could tell that she was not liking that she had to stand against us.

"Get out of my way." - I said.

"I can't do that." - I could feel her power surround us, and even if it was impressive, I have felt stronger presence than this. I mirrored her moves, and spread my arms out wide, and let my powers flow out like when someone opens the gates. It poured like ocean water, and I saw Flame's eyes widen.

"Step. Aside." - I said, and she did as I said. We hurried out from the mansion, but as soon as I took a step forward, the demons disappeared... I could no longer feel them...

"No!" - I yelled, and began to sprint towards the front gates, but there was no sign of the demons, like they never even existed. At the gates, I fell on my knees, and stared at the distance. I lost them... they passed through some kind of barrier, or a portal, I don't know... but surely, they were out of a 100 km range... The others caught up to me, and Darren stopped by me.

"Where now?" - He asked. I buried my face in my hands and began crying.

"I don't know... they disappeared...." - I sobbed. - "I can't feel them anymore!" - I raised my head, and looked at the other side of the gate. - "Why did Flame try to stop us?"

For a second no one answered me. Then, Rider crouched down beside me, and scooped me up from the ground, and stood me up. He didn't let go of me, which I was thankful for since I wasn't sure I would be able to stand on my own.

"It's most likely that Remiel knew that the demons are coming, and since this is a celestial institute, they shouldn't have been able to even set a foot in here. It's protected with strong spells, and it has several traps for anyone who is non celestial. Remiel had to be the one who let them in." - The stranger began talking. I looked at him, and saw that it was a guy I met a couple days ago. His name was Haniel.

"But why did they take Iris? She didn't want to hurt anyone." - I said, and I felt Rider's hands tighten around me.

"They took her because she is legal successor of the Princeps Clan, since she is the oldest child of Lord Ambriel." - Rider whispered. I pushed him away, and I felt horror rush through my body. He tried to hug me again, but I screamed at him to leave me alone.

That day, I decided to leave the House of Shadows. I wasn't safe here, and I had to get going as soon as I could, since as long as the people around me knew who I was, I was not safe. Plus, now that I knew what Rider wanted, I couldn't stay here, and I had to leave without him. I couldn't let him ruin his life because of me.
I bet he will get over me soon, and probably won't even remember me.

Of course, I couldn't give up on Iris. She became my main target. As soon as I got back to my room, I locked the door, but now I was aware of Rider: I knew he would try to come in, so I carved the lock symbol into the door which basically made the door impossible to open or break down until I wanted them to.
I took out rolls of maps from a box I had under my bed. I knew that sooner or later we would have to leave this place, I just didn't think it would be so soon.
In that box I piled up $3,000, and some things I might need if we have to flee from here quickly. I don't know why I thought that we would have to leave, maybe just a feeling. But sadly I proved myself right.
I rolled out the maps on the floor. They weren't just maps of California, but a map of whole America, and I had maps of Europe, South America, even Russia.
But that was not what i was looking for. I dug through the box until I found another map.
It was a map of the land where Skydown was built and the surrounding cities of it. I knew I couldn't go there, but I read a book that said there was a portal near Skydown, which lead to another residence of the consilium, but that's where they were dealing with demons.... there, the head of the sub council (Hellflower) was no other than a lord from hell, named Nero. It had to be him who captured Iris, so there is a great chance that I would find her there.

I quickly folded up the maps, and stuffed everything in a bag. I changed from my gear - I couldn't go on the streets in a fighting gear, because it would draw too much attention. I also put my weapons in the bag. I only hid a knife in my boots.
I changed into a short black top and cheetah printed leggings, and since it was after nightfall, I pulled a green shirt on, which had a couple studs on the shoulder. I laced up my boots, and then I was ready to go.

I sneaked into Iris' room, which looked like nothing had happened. It made me feel uneasy. I grabbed the car keys from her desk, and turned around to leave the room, when I came across Remiel.

"What are you doing at the middle of the night?" - He asked, but a smile was still across his lips. The smile that I found kind at the beginning now reminded me of a poisonous snake. I figured that there was no point of lying.

"I am leaving." - I told him. He raised one of his snow white eyebrows in surprise.

"And where do you plan on staying? It's not like you have anywhere to go." - He was enjoying this.

"I have my ways. I'm not a child anymore, I will figure out everything." - With that I passed by him, but he grabbed my hand.

"If you leave this place, the hunt will begin for you. There is nowhere you can escape to." - He said with a faked worried expression on his face. I shook off his gloved hand.

"Leave me alone." - I hissed, and hurried down the staircase. I couldn't hear his footsteps, so I assumed he let me go, but I was sure that was not the last time I had to see his face, however I would gladly hope that I was wrong, and he would never come near me ever again.

There were a few people in the hall, but they ignored me completely. I guess that was good.

I hurried to the parking lot, and threw my bag on the back seat of the car. As soon as I started the engine, a figure appeared at the window beside me. I was tense already, and he made me scream... but then when I saw that it was just Darren, I felt a sudden relief. I rolled down the window.

"I'm leaving. Care for a ride?" - I asked, since I knew that he cared about my sister as much as I have. He shook his head.

"No, I have to stay here. The consilium knows my face, I would just get you into trouble. But here is the number of my brother, he lives in Seattle. Drive up there, and meet him at the Space Needle tomorrow after dark. His name is Stephen. We have a flat in the city, where no one would even try to look for you. You can rest up there, and stay as long as you like. I already fixed it up with Stephen, so you are good to go." - He said, and handed me a picture of a boy.

"Is this him?" - I asked. Darren nodded.

"He will help you. Now go. I'll open the gates for you." - With that he disappeared, and I rolled up the windows. So, there I was, with a picture of a boy, directions to follow, and a suicidal plan in my head to find my sister.

"Thank you, Darren." - I whispered.
I drove down the road, and I saw that the gates weren't exactly open, but torn form their place, and threw on the ground. I guess Darren got carried away. Well, shit.

I drove through the broken gates, down the road.
Finally I found an exit to the highway.

***

I drove as long as i could, but in Portland, I had to take a stop. It was about two hours before midday, and I couldn't go any further. I was exhausted. 
I stopped at a motel 6, and slept through the day until it was dark again. Since Seattle was only three hours away, and I had about two hour until sunset. Stephen is supposed to meet me after dark. 
I checked out, and sat back to the car. I need to get going. 

The sun had almost disappeared completely behind the horizon, when I passed by the stadium. I quickly checked Google maps on  my phone, and following the directions, I drove to the Space Needle. 
I parked the car, and walked to the park where the building stood. I didn't know if I'm supposed to meet him at the bottom of it, or at the top. I gripped the picture tightly in my hands, and looked around. I couldn't see anyone who looked like the guy on the picture. 

I flipped the picture over, and I saw a phone number. I quickly dialed.

"Hallo?" - He picked up after the second ring.

"Hallo, are you Stephen?" - I asked.

"Who asks?" - He asked.

"Spirit...Meadows." - I said my old last name after a second of thinking.

"Oh, the Princeps girl. Yeah, it's me. Where are you?" - He asked.

"I'm at the Space Needle right beside this glass garden." 

"Okay, stay there. I'll be there in a sec." - With that he hung up, and just a second after that I saw a guy waving at me. I checked the picture just in case, but it was him. For sure. He hurried up to me.

"Hey, I'm Stephen." - He reached his hand towards me. I shook it. He smiled kindly, but by now, I couldn't tell if a smile was enough to trust anyone... but he was Darren's brother, so I guess it was alright.

"Spirit." - I returned his smile. - "Thank you for letting me stay at your place until I get myself together."

"Don't mention it. It's actually Joel's and Darren's place." - He awkwardly scratched his head.

"Joel?" 

"Yeah, he is my other older brother. He almost never comes home though... he is kind of a troublesome guy." - He rolled his eyes.

"Oh, I see." - I smiled.

"Did you come by car?" - He asked. I just nodded. - "Oh thank god, I hat to go by bus." - we both laughed. He seemed like a nice guy. - "So, where are you planning to go after you 'get yourself together'?" - He asked. I just pulled on my shoulders. We began to walk back to my car.

"I don't know." - I lied. He nodded. - "Are you... you know... like Darren?" - I asked. He raised an eyebrow.

"What do you mean?" 

"Like, are you a half angel, half demon, like he is?" - I asked. I never thought this question would ever leave my mouth..
He stopped, and stared at me. - "Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be rude or anything...."

"No, I am just surprised that you know that our family isn't the normal mix of hell lights you would come across." - He said. - "But yeah, I am like Darren."

"So how do you decide if you are a hell light, or a Grigori?" - I asked. -  "I mean you are an angel AND a demon, so how do you decide?" - I asked.
"It's kind of complicated. It isn't decided until our powers strengthen. Our abilities decide what we are." - He smiled at me. - "For example, angels are unable to  manipulate people, to shape-shift, or bend fire." - As he said that he looked around, and then opened his palm. A tiny flame burst between his fingers.

"Wow." - My eyes widened. He laughed, and closed his fingers. The fire died between them, like it wasn't there at all.

"So, yeah. I'm supposed to be more demonic than angelic." - he said, and put his hands into his pockets. - "However I don't feel that way."

He looked up at the sky, then suddenly back at me. - "I'm sorry... I talk too much."

"No, it's fine. I like to listen to people." - I smiled. We got back to my car, and he asked me if I'd let him drive. I was tired, so I did.
The trip was shorter than I expected. We were in the heart of the city, and he parked the car beside a skyscraper. We got out, and I followed him inside the building. I thought I'll faint when he pushed the button in the lift which said 76. 

"This is the tallest building in Seattle, so I think you will like the view." - He smiled. 

"Oh..." - That was all I could say. Too bad I had a fear of heights...

No comments:

Post a Comment