Friday, February 14, 2014

Enlightenment

"In the end we all are just searching for truth which is greater than ourselves."
-Dan Brown         

How can I describe our little 12 hour road trip to Los Angeles? Well, it's 848 miles, and the same view for long hours... all it is is desert. The speakers sing One Headlight from the Wallflowers, and Jacob Dylan's husky voice fills the dry, hot air.  It sounds like a terribly boring trip, but for me, it was something that I remember as one of the best memories I have.
My feet up on the dashboard, my fingers drumming on the plastic windowpane as I slowly hum along with Jacob.   The sun burned my skin, but damn, it tasted like freedom! It was amazing. I was leaning back, letting my sister take care of everything. I trusted her with my life, and now that I din't have work, we had money, and we were driving towards a chance for a better life, I felt calm.

"So where are we going to live exactly?" - I asked. Iris chuckled.

"I have some friends in LA, and they own a pretty damn big place, so they let us rent two rooms. The price is cheap, the area is nice... I feel lucky that they like my guts." - Her smile was wide, and I could sense that she was as calm and happy as I was.

"Anyone in my age?" - I asked, hoping for some company, and making friends. For a long time, it was just me and Iris, and I was ready to meet other people.

"More or less. I don't know everyone in the house, but the ones I know are around my age... however, now that you mention it, I am pretty sure there are people in your age. If I am correct, Darren moved in with his friend not too long ago. They grew up together, and the guy is about 19." - Well, I was hoping for some bestie material, like a girl I get to know, and then we could like... idk, talk about everything... stuff that besties do.

"That sounds cool." - I said, and took a sip from my water bottle. The water had warmed up in this heat, but it was still much better than nothing. - "And so, what is this place? Like an orphanage for young adults or somethin'?"

"No... This is where... uh... I can't really explain this to you, but when we get there, you'll get it." - She smiled, but she moved around in her seat uncomfortably.

"Please don't tell me you are bringing me to live among a bunch of insane people!" - I looked at her from above of my glasses.

"Of course not... they are just unique. I got to know them when we were little. Mom would always bring me to that house to play with the others while she gossips with the other parents. The owner of the mansion eventually closed it, and then it was opened again. Now the resident of the place made a rule of the people who move in must be older than 16, but younger than 30. So, he formed kind of a community, where the old buds reunite." - She laughed. However this all sounded very unusual for me. Why would anyone do that?

"Something sounds fishy about this, sis." - I noted, and took another sip of water.

"Oh, c'mon! It will be fun, you'll see. Plus..." - She held a dramatic pause here - "There is a school inside the mansion. You can go back to school, and you can finish your studies!"

My heart skipped a beat. I was so happy, I can't even describe it with words. I felt happiness bubble in my stomach.

"Really?! I mean is it ok? Shouldn't I be working to help you out?"

"Nah, we have money for a very long time since the room rent will be hella cheep, and we sold everything. Really, don't worry about it." - She slowed down, and turned at the gas station to pump some gas into the car.

The trip was long, but since we left at dawn, we arrived around 6pm at the mansion. It was truly huge. The enormous iron gates slowly began to open as we approached it. The driveway was long, about 300 feet, and there was a parking lot at the left side. The mansion had a garden with palm trees, and it looked unbelievably beautiful... breathtaking.
Small, red flowers blossomed on the cacti by the road, the fruits on the nearby orange trees were ripe, and the olive trees were on the verge of collapse under the weight of the little black olives.  This place was unbelievable.
I leaned out from the window to have a better view. In the distance, I could see a stall, and some hay... so they had horses as well?!

"C'mon, what kind of drug-baron owns this place? And how the hell did they allow you to rent two rooms cheaply? This place must cost a fortune."

"I told you, mom's friends live here, and my friends, and I hope that they will be your friends as well. Trust me, it was a hard decision for me to make... these people are exceptionally kind, and we are fortunate to be favored by them. They can show you a way of life like you never even imagined it, but you will get to kno that soon enough... maybe sooner than you should. However, you have to promise me that you will learn what they told you to, and you will train, do your best, and become as strong as possible."

"Training? What kind of training? Why?" - I was full of questions. Also, her seriousness scared me.

"Here, physical strength is important. It's like some people don't like if the ones, who rent the house have any pets... here, they like to see their favored ones to be at their best, you know." - She explained as she parked the car. - "I know this will be hard for all of us. I had been thinking about this, and I know I had promised mom to keep you safe, but I don't know where else could we go... This is our best shot. She made me swear that I would never let you into this place, that I would grant that you live an average life..." - Her shoulders shook. Guild washed over me.

"What we had was no average life. You did your best to keep me safe, and I am grateful for all the sacrifices you made for me. But that will end here. I will do my best, and I will grow strong, I promise. I will be independent. This is the place where they welcome us... maybe the only place." - I sighed. - "Maybe I don't understand your reasons, or the people's reasons to let us in... I don't know what you swore to mom... but I know that this is a great chance for you. You can rise, and become whoever you want to. I won't stand in your way anymore." - She reached across the seat, and hugged me tightly.

"Oh, you stupid fuck, you have never stood in the way." - Our little, heart-warming conversation was over when a guy knocked on the window. He was tall, and blonde, very handsome with bright blue eyes. Since Iris was hugging me, she didn't see him, and her body stiffened.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing." - She put on a shining smile, and turned around. I could see her body relax as she saw him.

We both jumped out from the car, and by the time I straightened up, Iris was hugging the guy so tightly, it was embarrassing to watch... like I took a sneak peak on their most private moments. The guy held onto my sister, like she was some kind of treasure. So I turned away, giving them their moment. A girl waved at us from a little further away, so I began walking towards her. If I say she had a dramatic look, I am being very far from how she really looked. She was covered with tattoos, and her hair was dyed in a flaming red color. Her eys were red as well, but for some reason, I didn't think they were contact lenses. She smiled as I got closer, and I am not kidding, she had at least seven piercings in her face.

"Hey, you must be the newest girlie." - She smiled, and reached her hand towards me. I shook it, and smiled back at her. She seemed a bit older than I was, maybe around 22.

"Yeah, you can put it that way. My name is Spirit." -She nodded, like she had already knew that.

"Cool, I'm Flame." - She looked around, then her attention was on me again. - "The guy greeting your sis is Darren."

"Oh, he seems nice." - I looked at them, and saw that they were already walking toward us. - "By the way, I like your piercings. Are they Monroes?" - Her smile widened.

"No, It would be a Monroe, if I had one on this side." - She pointed at one side of her lips. - "I have them on both sides, which is called Angel Bites."

"Wow, that's pretty cool." - I wasn't really into piercings, but I had to admit, they had a cool name.

"Pretty ironic, if you ask me." - Darren smirked as he got closer to us. Now that I had a better look at him, I could sense serious seductive waves radiating from him. His body was almost like it was sculpted by a Greek master, however his face was way more attractive, His eyes were big, and blue, his hair was messy and dirty blonde, and blonde stubble covered his chin. He looked like a typical bad boy from orange county, but he was still something different... I couldn't put my finger on it, but he was strange somehow. - "Believe me, she is a devil."

"Hah, look who is talking, mutt-boy." - She made a face at him, and I didn't bother even trying to understand it. I booked it as an inside joke, and just let it go.

"Oh, you mist be Spirit, Iris' sis. My name is Darren."

"My pleasure." - I nodded. He raised his eyebrow at me, like I've said something weird. - "What?"

"Nah..." - He shook his head. - "You just said the exact same thing as your sister when we met."

"You still remember that?" - Iris laughed, and playfully hit his shoulder.

"I got a pretty damn good memory." - He smiled.

We walked in the house, and I was overwhelmed by the view once more. It was like a dream. White marble, angel statues, and blue walls. The air was cool, and it smelled like snow. How strange... You could see up to the 4th floor from here, and it had a glass roof above us, which let in an enormous amount of sunlight.
Suddenly a guy appeared on the top of the closest staircase, and he was slicing bits of apple off, and put them into his mouth. Just like Darren, he was blonde, and I could see some facial resemblance between them.. could that he be some brother to Darren..? This guy however was in loose, black training shorts, and he was barefoot, shirtless. His body was perfectly sculpted, like a Holsiter model. It made me stare at him even though I really tried not to. He walked to us, and his muscles moved under his skin with every move. I mean it; it was very hard not to drool over him... I mean metaphorically of course.

"Hey, Rider! Meet the newlings." - Flame called to him. Rider let out a sarcastic chuckle.

"Why would I? They will die off eventually, like every newling so far." - He arrived, and stood by flame. He pointed at me. - "Especially this one. If you'd ask me, I guess she will last about a week."

Okay, so if I wasn't freaked out by this place already, then I would freak now... but since I already was, I felt pure panic rising inside my chest. He was saying that I will die... soon... very soon.
Flame punched Rider in the shoulder.

"No, she won't. She is my sister." - Iris turned to him.

"So what?" - He laughed. For him, it clearly didn't mean a thing. I didn't know if it was supposed to, but I felt very left out.

"What the hell are you talking about?! Why would I die?" - I asked, since I got enough of their conversation. Every eye turned towards my direction. But only for a couple seconds. Then, Darren's eyes widened.

"She doesn't know, does she?" - He asked.

"Seems like it." - Rider said, then added - "Okay, I change my bet, she gets one week."

"Shut the hell up! You are frightening her!!" - Iris wrapped her hands around me, and protectively held me close. - "Yes, I haven't told her, because I wanted her to have a good life.. a normal life."

"She wouldn't have a normal life... ever. You know that your kind basically is like a trouble-magnet. It's almost a miracle that she had lasted that long, if you ask me." - Darren said. I was trembling in Iris' hands. What the fucking hell are they talking about. I am so confused.

"Spirit, look at me, honey." - Flame called me. I looked towards her. - "Can you sense what I am?"

"What are you talking about?!" - I whispered, not feeling a thing. What was I supposed to feel. - "Are you guys playing a prank on me? Because this is not funny." - I said. Flame looked at me worriedly. Rider's eyes reflected pity.

"I take her to Remiel. He'll fill in the gaps." - Darren offered, but I held onto Iris so tightly, she told him off, and began walking with me towards the staircase.

The room she lead me into was small, had royal-blue walls, and the window looked like it was made of ice crystals. Every furniture was white, and had silver decoration. Behind the desk, a tall man sat, with his hands under his chin as he leaned forward. He looked about 26. His hair was white, so was his eyebrows, and for my biggest surprise, even his eyelashes were white. His skin was like the brightest marble, and his eyes were light blue. He looked at us with fascination in his eyes. His clothes were a simple white shirt, unbuttoned down to his chest, and marble crack- like scars showed on his chest, a pair of black pants, and he had light brown shoes on. On his ringers, there were rings that are made of three pieces, and cover your whole finger. His rings ended in claws. But as I looked closer, I could see white glows under the rings.

"Welcome. I can see she begins to realize..." - He said with a thin, cruel smile on his lips.

"No, they just scared her... especially Rider." - Iris was talking instead of me.

"Oh, don't accuse them of being the cause of her enlightenment. You did this to her. They had no idea she doesn't know about who she really is." - He sighed, and took off his rings, then his gloves as well. - "Bring her here... Seriously, Iris. You should've enlightened her sooner... If I were you, I would've told her right after her guardian had fallen."

Iris tried to push me towards him, but I resisted.

"Please, sis, stop it! Don't play any more jokes on me! Why are you doing this? Did I hurt you? Do you ry to make fun of me? Why?" - I asked, and I felt tears rolling down my cheeks. She hugged me.

"No, don't cry... You will understand everything, I promise. This is not a prank... Please, go to Remiel. He'll help you." - I swallowed, and turned towards Remiel, and let out a small scream, because he was standing right in front of me. I have never even heard him move. I grabbed Iris' hand, but she wriggled out of my hold. I wanted to reach after her, but she was gone. The next thing I knew was that Remiel reached towards me, and cupped my face in his hands. His touch felt like I was struck by lightning. I heard myself scream, but it was like hearing someone else's scream.
His touch devoured me, and I was falling inside darkness. Am I gonna die? I asked myself. Suddenly, I was falling toward the ground with deadly speed. Cool fire surrounded my body. I closed my eyes, and then I heard my body hit the ground with an enormous blast. I didn't have to wait for the unbearable pain for too long, but somehow, I was still in one piece. I struggled up to my feet, and raised my hands to see the damage on them. Those were not my hands... those were the hands of a man. I looked at my body, but it wasn't my body at all.
But the sudden pain in my back drove my attention to the people standing behind me. They grabbed my wings (?!) and with one single strike, they tore them off. I let out a cry, but the voice wasn't mine either. A sudden voice appeared.

"No, these are my memories, not yours." - The picture whirled around once, and now I saw the scene from the other side. It was Remiel. He was colored in blood, his hands uselessly hanging beside his torso as he was kneeling on the meadow. Around him the grass was burning with cool, blue flames. I froze for a moment, but then I ran towards him. I wanted to help, but as I got closer, and tried to touch him, my fingers simply slipped through his body. - "These are just memories. You can't change them." - The voice appeared.

"What? I am so confused!" - I cried, trying desperately to grab Remiel. Tears rolled down on my cheeks, as I realized that no matter how hard I try, I just cannot help him. - "What had happened to you! Remiel!" - Yes, I was freaking out major time, but there was still a wounded person in front of me.

"Stop it. I am showing you this, because you have to know what we are." - The voice said, and with that, the picture changed. Everything was white. It was endless, like glowing fog. Front of me, Remiel stood, unwounded in his white shirt and black pants.

"Are you an angel?" - I shook my head. There is no way I would believe in that crap.

"Yes, and no. I am a Fallen One. Not the same." - He said. - "You are a half angel. Nephilim, Grigori, or call it whatever you want to." - That made me laugh.

"Okay, now I am very curious what kind of drugs did you make me swallow to make me have this vision." - As a response to that, he rolled his eyes.

"Hate to break it to you, but this is reality." - The smile froze on my lips. - "You have to understand. This is a whole another word. There are a lot of human beings out there who do not know about our existence...  Including you. Listen, Spirit. You have to realize that this part of the world had been hidden from you, but will be revealed soon. You can be part of it. I will not force you... but you have to know that if you choose to continue your previous life, I can't grant your safety."

"Uh-huh, not forcing, or anything, you are just telling me I will die if I leave." - I rolled my eyes.

"Not necessarily."

"But most likely." - I finished his sentence. He nodded. - "Well, make me believe that this is real. Because right now, I feel like I am having a very bad nightmare."

"Well, alright."

The picture changed, and front of me were children running around. Small, blonde kids. One was a taller guy, and he had a crystal in his hands. The little girl beside him cried something about him being unfair for taking it.

"I meant to give it to Spirit! You are so mean, Cassiel!!" - She cried. I took a step closer. Was that Iris?! The guy, called Cassiel gave it back to her, and she hurried inside the house to a taller woman. - "Mommy, mommy! Isn't it pretty! I thing this would be perfect for her."

A tall man with sky colored eyes stood behind the woman, holding a baby. He gave the baby to the woman, and she handed the little kid the crystal. The baby put it in her mouth, then took it out, and giggled in a bubbly voice. The man smiled, and gave a woman a kiss. The boy returned with another boy... they looked exactly alike. Twins huh... The sight gripped my heart with the fists of sorrow. So that's how it used to be... My family...

The crystal elevated from the baby's hands, like she could use magic.

"Look, she is good at this!" - The man smiled. His almost white hair was long, he reminded me of Legolas from Lord of the Rings. How odd.

"See that man?" - Remiel emerged beside me. Now that I think about it, he reminds me of something too... something like a Final Fantasy character... well, never mind.. -"He is a noble angel, a prince. Ambriel Princeps. Currently the leader of the consilium, and my dear friend. Also, he is your father."

"I don't care." - I blurted out. This must be just an awful dream. - "This man is dead to me. He abandoned my sister, my mother, and me. Tell me Remiel, do you think it's fair that he, however never abandoned my brothers? Do you think its fine to leave his family behind, and let his wife die? How's that he is allowed to do such terrible things, while everyone else just sits back, and watches as we struggle just to survive with Iris." - I felt anger surfacing. Remiel remained silent. - "What he did was unforgivable -"

A loud knock on the door cut me off. Well, it was rather a bang than a knock. Two men stepped inside, without any invitation. The whole family became alert. Suddenly, five more men entered the door. Two grabbed Ambriel - my father - and two grabbed each of my brothers. They dragged them out, while Ambriel tried to escape their grip, uselessly. One of the three remaining men reached for the baby, but before he could catch her, the woman touched the crystal, and the two girls vanished.

"You bitch!" - The man yelled, and slapped her so hard, she fell on the ground.

"No! Stop!" - I cried out.

"This is just another memory shard. You cannot change the past." - Remiel said. I felt myself shake with anger, as I watched those men abuse my mother.

"Who's memory is it?" - rage sprinted through my body. Someone just stood there, and watched the whole thing take place...

"It was a spy. We caught him after the slaughter. They wanted your father and brothers as a hostage, but they did not care for your mother or sister... nor you. However, you mother did a great job. Even I wasn't able to find Iris nor you with my trackers. We really did think you were dead, so after 9 years of search, we gave up." - He sighed. - "Then, a couple months ago, Iris contacted me. I was pretty surprised, I must say."

"What about my father..?" - I asked.

"He doesn't believe me... not after 17 years has passed. He thinks you are just claiming to be his long last daughters."

The picture around us changed, and we were back in the room where everything seemed like it was made of ice. Remiel stood before me, holding his hand on my forehead, his eyes closed. I uncomfortably cleared my throat, and he opened his eyes.

"Do you believe?" - He asked. I felt like laughing.

"Okay, I believe that you are a supernatural weirdo freak, but you need to do more to make me believe in all that angels, fallen angels, half angels, and such crap." - He smiled, and walked back to his desk.

"Now, you'll come around." - He put his gloves back on, and then his rings.

"Why do you need gloves?" - I asked.

"Have you ever seen X-men?" - He asked. I nodded. - "My powers are something like Rouge's. But instead of taking or rather copying powers, I simply enter memories, and drag whoever touches my hands with me. I can control it to a certain point, but not all the way. That's why the gloves."

"Okay, you really are a supernatural weirdo." - He chuckled at my commentary.

"I prefer to be called Fallen, rather than 'supernatural weirdo'."

"So all of the fallen angels can just drag people in and out from their memories?" - That idea kind of freaked me out. Just imagine how awful that would be.

"No. We all have individual powers." -He looked at the papers at his desk. - "Please leave now. I am a busy man you know... It is not easy to govern a house full of 'supernatural weirdos'." - He sighed. - "But don't worry... you are one of us."

"Is that supposed to be a compliment?" - I raised my eyebrows. He smirked.

"You'll get used to it."

No comments:

Post a Comment