Tuesday, February 11, 2014

A Second of a Mini Heart-attack




The date? Well, why bother... it was just another simple day... just like every day; nothing was better, nothing was different.Except maybe the rain. It rarely rained in Santa Fe, and some people saw it as a blessing, while a whole lot of people looked at is as a curse. Of course, if someone moves here, they usually come to escape every little bit of rain, and unpleasant weather, such as snow... but there was heat, that was unbearable most of the time. I hated the heat, but what was I supposed to do?
I didn't have enough money to move away... hell, I barely had enough money to buy food.

My name is Spirit Evangeline Meadows. I am a 17 years old high school drop-out. I know it sounds bad, but I didn't really have a choice. I lived with my sister in a small house that we had inherited from out mother when she died. Iris, my sister always said that she was a great mother. I couldn't care less; she left us after all. I mean, yes, murder is not exactly her fault... but she wasn't here.
My father left us just after I was born, so I don't even remember him... only his voice, that sometimes occurs in my dreams. He always tells me I am a shame on the name of my family. That, I already know, he doesn't have to rub it in. These are just dreams, I know that, but they are still there.
Iris said we had brothers; twins. Dad took them with him. I found it awfully unfair. What did they have that I didn't?

But it was as simple as that: dad didn't want me, but he did want them, for a reason I couldn't manage to understand one bit.

I worked at a local diner as a waitress. It didn't pay well, the tips were small, and the boss was a perverted asshole. But that was the best job I could find with my abilities. The diner was halfway to downtown from my house. It was a 17 minutes walk.
I felt like that girl from Princess and the Frog, working my ass off for pennies, however I didn't have any big dream I was following... maybe to have a better life, not to worry about the bills, and food, and clothes. That would have been nice. But that was my dream. I have lost hope to become an artist a very long time ago, because we didn't have any money to pay the right schools. I loved studying, and reading... but that worth nothing when it came to everyday needs. Iris was not able to pay for both of us... at least she had finished high school... I was sad I couldn't, but there was nothing I could do.

Iris worked part time as a singer, taking gigs at fancy restaurants, but that rarely came. Most of the time she worked as a maid.
But somehow she was happy living like this. She was concerned that one day Ariel and Cassiel, our big brothers would look for us. I doubt they even remember they had sisters to begin with.... but that was just my opinion.

Only mine...


***

The rain was rhythmically drumming on the windows. I sat on the bar chair of the diner. Today was a calm day. No one came in since I started my shift. That was unusual, since there were at least two people in the diner at all times, asking for coffee refills, working at the back of the diner on their laptops, looking for a little peace. But today the diner was absolutely empty. You might think I was happy that I din't have anything to do, since I have already wiped off al the tables, refilled al the napkin and toothpick holders, but the thing was... no costumer meant no tip. No tip meant no money. No money meant I had nothing to eat that day, and I had no money to buy anything to eat. I felt pathetic. 

My shift was about to end in five minutes. 

"Hey," - Pete, our cook called out. He was an old, chubby man, with a face of a pig, and a heart of an angel. His apron was patched with oil, and who knows what else. He put a plate full of strawberry pancakes front of me. - "Eat up."

"Pete, that's kind of you, but I am behind with the rent... you know I can't afford this." - I said. He shook his head.

"It's on the house today. You did a great job at cleaning, and it really isn't your fault that no one came in." - Pete gave me a fork, and I nodded slowly. 

Well, at least I won't starve... I ate the half of it, and wrapped up the rest to bring it home for Iris. Pete, seeing me doing that, gave me some fruits, and vegetables he cannot use tomorrow, but knew they won't last that long in our fridge. 
Pete was like an uncle to me. He knew me since I was 10, when my sister brought me here after a big gig, when she got a bigger amount of money. That was one of my happiest memories. I was so happy, and even the memory of mom's death left my mind for a little while. 

"Thanks." - I smiled.

"Don't mention it."

"Well, see ya!" - I said, left the restaurant. 

That day I went home with happiness in my heart. I didn't bother about that I got soaked in the rain on my way home. I felt like the rain was washing off the bad memories of the past. I felt like there are good things ahead of me. Maybe not college, or my dream job, but life seemed better. Thanks to the kindness of one person, and I already felt better.


The little house at the end of the road with the tall bushes behind it's fences meant home. It meant that today was over, and I could rest. 
Maybe I didn't live a dream life, but I wasn't having a terrible life; I had roof above my head, and a sister by my side. I know it's not much, close to nothing, actually... but it's still ours.

"I'm home!" - I yelled.

"Hello!!" - She came to the hall - "Whatcha got there?"

"Food." - I smiled. - "For you. I've already eaten."

"Oh, alright. Thanks... by the way, I have great news."

"Please tell."

"I am moving to Los Angeles." - I felt like the time around me slowed down. How was that supposed to be good news?!

"Ar...are...are you leaving..?" - I had troubles with forming the words. I was so shocked. How could she do this to me. I thought we would be there for each other no matter what...

"Yep. I've sold the house, and found a place to live in there. Plus, there are many gigs in LA." - She seemed happy, and she bounced up nd down, like it was some awesome news I was supposed to be happy about. But why would I be happy for her? Why would I?

"You... sold the house?!" - Anger began to take over sock, and I felt like I was on the edge. I wanted to cry.

"Yeah, I mean I needed money. But don't worry, I'm sure the neighbors will be nice in LA."

"But what about me? Where am I supposed to go?" - I asked. She broke out in laughter. I froze. I have never had such an urge to hit my sister. What the hell is so funny?! She was about to leave me! She was about to abandon me! 

"Oh my, oh my, did you really think I would leav you? What kind of sister would I be, if I left my little sister like that, huh? No, darling, you are coming with me." - I felt my body relax at her answer. 

"What about my job?" - I felt bad. I didn't care about my job actually. But I realized that I was clinging into my sister like a five years old child. She was 23, and I was the reason why she couldn't live her life like any normal person of her age. It was me, who held her back, who took away her teen years, because she had to raise me up. Iris had dedicated the years of her youth to be my guardian. And I took it so naturally, so until she mentioned moving, I didn't even considered the opportunity of us being separated, living alone...

I was an awful person. She deserved better life that she could ever have with me.

"I've already fixe everything. Today was your last day, and I bet your paycheck would be in your bag." - I reached into the nylon bag, where I carried the fruits, and leftover food, and vegetables. On the top, there it was: a small, white envelope. I opened it, and almost fell backwards.

"$15,000?!" - What the hell?! I have never got so much money in my life. My usual payment was around $1,100, so this was a pleasent surprise. - "How?"

"I sold the owner a crystal vase that used to be grandma's. It was awfully ugly, if you ask me, but he seemed to like it. He said he'd put the money on your final paycheck, so here we are." - I didn't know we had such things.

"So, we're leaving tomorrow?" - I asked. Her smile was so wide, I swear I saw her wisdom teeth.

And that's how our story began. We both knew that this trip would change our lives forever, but back then, I didn't think it would be such a change that changes my views on life, on our world, on our decisions, on our fate, all that... 
I thought we would just face a better future. I thought we will just live, and eventually die of old age, surrounded by our grandchildren.. I hoped for a happy life. I wanted a happy life... so what I got was surprisingly not what I wanted...

No comments:

Post a Comment